Get the latest airfare updates and changes for all the major carriers, newest route announcements...as well as miles and points news. This page is updated DAILY.
Delta SkyMiles Reserve American Express Card vs The Platinum Card from American Express, New Routes from Breeze, Western, Vueling, Jet Airways - May 21, 2022
- Forbes lays out a credit card showdown for Delta flyers to find which is the right card for you: The Delta SkyMiles Reserve American Express Card vs The Platinum Card from American Express.
- Jet Airways has been given the go-ahead to restart airline operations and received a revalidated Air Operator Certificate (AOC) by the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA). The carrier had been shut due to financial problems.
- Delta has issued a travel waiver through May 22nd for the Southern and Northeastern U.S. due to weather.
- Bahamian carrier Western Air has made its 1st flight from Nassau to Fort Lauderdale on Thursday and will fly the route daily and offers no change or cancellation fees.
- Breeze Airways has launched its first flight to Jacksonville International Airport from Richmond, Virginia on Thursday, the carrier has had to scale back and cancel some of its planned routes.
- Spanish budget airline Vueling is adding 2 routes from London Gatwick Airport: Jerez on July 1 and Genoa (Italy) on July 3.
My Take on High Airfares, Flyers Angered Over Airline Price Gouging, US Airways Wins Lawsuit (What??) - May 20, 2022
- Yesterday I posted the CEO of Frontier Airlines' comments on the future of high airfares. Here's my video take on it all.
- A growing number of flyers are angered and accusing Australian airlines of post-pandemic price gouging: Flyers book a flight with frequent flyer points...only to see the flight get cancelled. They then get the option of rebooking...but at a much higher fare.
- Should Canada end its remaining Covid travel restrictions?
- U.S. Airways wins an 11-year lawsuit against global reservation system provider Sabre accusing them of using monopoly power to create difficult booking conditions for travel agents. The former carrier was awarded 1 dollar...
- Marriott has signed an agreement with leisure travel airline Sunwing to to debut the Royalton Splash Riviera Cancun.
- Choice Hotels owned' Ascend Hotels has added 3 new upscale properties: The Crossroads Hotel – Newburgh (Newburgh, New York), The Harborview in Port Washington, Wisconsin and 17 West Hotel in Tulsa, Oklahoma.
- Travel to European destinations for summer travel is booming...and in some cases, exceeding pre-pandemic levels according to travel insurance quote provider Squaremouth.
Frontier CEO: Airfares to Remain High, Spirit Rejects JetBlue Again, Leisure and Business Travel Record Rebound - May 19, 2022
- Frontier CEO Barry Biffle warns flyers that high airfares are here to stay...at least for the foreseeable future as labor and jet fuel keep the pressure up.
- Mastercard Economics Institute reports that global leisure and business travel have risen to levels not seen since 2019...pre-pandemic.
- Spirit Airlines board of directors has rejected JetBlue's second 'hostile' takeover bid citing it's not in the best interest of its shareholders.
- IAG Group (British Airways, Aer Lingus, Iberia) has announced an order for up 150 Boeing 737 MAX jets...consisting of the MAX 8 and MAX 10 variants.
- United Airlines has opened its largest airline club to date at Newark Airport: 30,000 square feet with 480 seats, spa showers, views of the Manhattan skyline and more.
- Delta is partnering with Greek carrier SKY starting today to offer flights to the Greek islands by way of Athens (34 destinations).
- 'Best Life' gives you 7 tips on how to get upgraded to First Class on your next flight.
- Boutique Air has submitted a proposal to replace Essential Air Service at Sioux Gateway in Sioux City.
- Brazilian carrier GOL has resumed service at Miami International with 4 weekly flights to Brasilia...the first flights since the pandemic.
- Fodor's has released a travel survey outlining what is freaking out travelers this coming summer season.
British Airways Cancels EVERY Flight in London, Delta Flying War Veterans to Normandy, Allegiant NFL - May 18, 2022
- British Airways has cancelled ALL (not some) flights out of London Heathrow and Gatwick today. I think their reason is BS.
- United Airlines has applied to the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) to fly 3 times a week non-stop from Washington, D.C. to Cape Town, South Africa...a first for an American carrier from D.C. to South Africa.
- Delta will fly 30 World War II veterans in June to Normandy, France on a charter flight to commemorate the 1944 D-Day invasion.
- 'Travel and Leisure' lists their picks for the best Travel credit cards that offer more than simple perks such as airport lounge access and more.
- Allegiant Airlines is launching an NFL-based promotion by offering Raider-game tickets and special hotel deals in Las Vegas.
- Hyatt's first 'lifestyle' hotel named 'Caption' is set to open in Memphis, Tennessee in June which highlights not only great accomodations but stellar food and drink.
- More complaints surface on the long-standing issue of noise at Scottsdale Airport but not everyone who lives near the field sees any problem.
- Malaysia Airlines and Qatar Airways are expanding their codeshare operation by adding 34 destinations to the existing 62 codeshare destination.
- Getting through airport security quickly and predictably at Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport is what officials are confident will happen with the integration Copenhagen Optimization and CLEAR technologies.
Spain Travel Restrictions Extended Until at Least June 15th, Southwest Launches New Fare Program, More JetBlue News - May 17, 2022
- If you are an international traveler wanting to know Spain's Covid travel restrictions, we possibly have some bad news for you (depending on your position on the pandemic)
- Southwest Airlines is launching their 'Wanna Get Away Plus' new fare program...you'll still get 2 free checked bags and no change fees, but you'll also get transferable flight credits to another flyer and same-day changes.
- United Airlines announced that the FAA has cleared their way for 52 of the carrier's Boeing 777s that are powered by Pratt & Whitney engines to return to service after an engine failure grounded them in February 2021.
- JetBlue is trying to take over Spirit Airlines...through hostile means!
- JetBlue announced today they will be suspending/cancelling 20 routes...including Boston and Vancouver and 8 routes out of Fort Lauderdale.
- Virgin founder Richard Branson is opening a new luxury hotel in his 'Virgin Limited Edition' brand called Son Bunyola Hotel in Mallorca, Spain.
- Miami International Airport is rolling out Biometric Boarding on all 130 gates by middle of 2023 which will enable travelers to board their flights with the click of a camera.
- Partners American Airlines and GOL will be offering extra flight benefits to its AAdvantage members priority check-in, priority security, priority boarding and priority baggage and more.
- 2 'former' Alaska Airlines flight attendants have filed a lawsuit against the carrier saying the airline terminated them because they asked questions in a company forum about the company's support for the "Equality Act."
iPhone Racks Up Frequent Flyer Miles on Qantas Flights, Ryanair's Reduces Losses Post Pandemic - May 16, 2022
- A couple accidently left their iPhone on a Qantas flight from Sydney to Auckland...where the phone proceeded to 'stay on the plane' and rack up some impressive frequent flyer miles...
- Ryanair says they've substantially cut losses (from a 1 billion Euro loss down to 355 million) as the pandemic lockdowns have lifted.
- Data website Stacker has compiled information on the airlines with the most delayed flights in the U.S.
- EasyJet is offering a £1,000 bonus to new and existing employees in an effort to retain and attract workforce with record setting travel demand on the way.
Class Action Against Virgin Australia, Emirates Posts a $1 Billion Loss, Delaware Now Has No Commercial Air Service - May 15, 2022
- Investor bondholders have launched a class action lawsuit against Virgin Australia claiming the airline misled investors on investment in their Velocity loyalty program which lost value after the pandemic hit.
- Emirates has posted a $1 Billion loss in the year up through March with the airline largely blaming soaring fuel costs as the reason.
- Frontier is ending its route in an out of New Castle Airport in Delaware making the state the only one without commercial airline service.
- Russian airline Aeroflot has purchased 8 Airbus A330 twin-aisle jets from foreign leasing firms in an apparent move to maintain good relations with aircraft lessors in the wake of Russian sanctions.
- Airline alliance group SkyTeam has opened its first full-service airport lounge in South America...at Santiago International Airport.
- Wizz Air is allocating 10,000 free airline tickets to Ukrainian refugees who will be flying to the UK from various European locations to participate in the British government's Homes for Ukraine visa program.
- Indian companies SpiceJet and Axis Bank have partnered up to offer a co-branded credit card to enhance the SpiceJet frequent flyer program as well as earn rewards on daily spends.
Alaska Says 'High level' of Cancellations to Continue, United and Pilots Reach Labor Agreement, $27 Beers at New York Airports? - May 14, 2022
- Alaska Airlines CEO Ben Minicucci told employees that flight cancellations will continue until June as the carrier is still experiencing a pilot shortage.
- United Airlines and the Air Lines Pilots Association have reached a new labor agreement...the first of the major carriers to strike a deal since the pandemic.
- A $27 beer at a New York airport is apparently crossing the line for authorities...who are now cracking down on price gouging its customers.
- The FAA (Federal Aviation Administration) has told Boeing they have submitted 'incomplete documentation' and must complete the docs before they can resume 787 Dreamliner deliveries.
- Brazilian carriers GOL and Avianca are merging in to a single holding company named Abra Group although both airlines will still operate separately brand-wise.
- PLAY (Iceland) has launched its first flight between Reykjavik Keflavik International Airport (KEF) and Boston Logan (BOS) on May 11 using Airbus A321 jets.
Tibet Airbus Jet Bursts into Flames, EU Dropping Facemask Requirement, Delta News - May 13, 2022
- A Tibet Airlines Airbus jet skidded off the runway during takeoff and burst in to flames in Chongqing, Tibet injuring 36 of the 122 people on board.
- The EU will drop the facemask requirement at European airports 'in all cases' starting May 16th...although some airlines may still require their use.
- The Delta SkyMiles Gold American Express Card could be the right introductory card for those getting in the card points arena.
- The AAdvantage Aviator Business Card is currently offering a robust 80,000 mile bonus for new sign-ups plus some unique perk benefits to consider.
- Delta Vacations is upping the ante by awarding new bookings up to 75,000 SkyMiles or a $400 Delta gift card.
- All Nippon Airways (ANA) will resume flights between Tokyo Haneda (HND) and Honolulu to 4X-weekly starting July 1 and Haneda - Heathrow route.
- Malaysia Airlines will launch a new direct flight between Kuala Lumpur and Doha starting May 25.
Delta Reverses Sky Club Restrictions and Issues Travel Waiver, SAS to Cancel 4,000 Flights, Virgin Australia and Qatar Tie-Up - May 12, 2022
- Delta reverses decision on new Sky Club restrictions after members complain.
- Delta is issuing a travel waiver for travel Kingston (KIN) and Montego Bay (MBJ) due to air traffic service disruptions for may 12 and 13.
- Ontario International Airport says traffic has exceeded pre-pandemic numbers...April was 7% more than the same month in 2019.
- Here are some tips where you can shorten time spent at check-in lines at the airport if you have kids.
- Aer Lingus today has recommenced non-stop flights from Dublin to Los Angeles (LAX) for the first time since March of 2020 (the onset of the pandemic).
- CheapOair and PayBright are partnering to help Canadians book cheaper trips and pay with more flexibility over time.
- SAS Airlines is cancelling 4,000 flights this summer citing staff shortages and financial challenges that affect operations.
- Virgin Australia and Qatar Airways have announced a strategic partnership that will enhance both carriers' offering in loyalty, lounges and flight networks.
- Starting May 27, Aeroflot will increase flight frequencies of Istanbul and Antalya to three times weekly.
Flyers 'Unhappy' with Airlines, United Cutting 7 Routes, Airlines are Concerned in Mexican Airspace - May 11, 2022
- A survey by J.D. Power finds flyers are unhappy with the cuts the airlines have made in the name of 'safety'...adding they think the carriers will keep these cuts permanently.
- United will cut 7 long-haul routes in June (3 from Newark and 4 from Washington Dulles) due to a lack of planes (UA's Boeing 777s have been grounded) but the carrier expects to get them back online in July and restart the routes.
- A passenger jet bound for Istanbul was forced to return to the gate in Tel Aviv yesterday when plane crash photos were sent to multiple passengers on board.
- Multiple Airlines have concerns for Mexican airspace as a slew of incidents and warnings have the carriers questioning their safety.
- Emirates and Royal Air Maroc have launched a codeshare partnership to expand each airline's foortprint in Dubai and Casablanca.
- United has signed an overseas purchase agreement for sustainable aviation fuel (SAF) becoming the first U.S. carrier to do so.
U.S. Regional Carrier Wants Inexperienced Pilots Approved, Routes by Lynx, Asiana, Caribbean, Taos Air - May 10, 2022
- Air France has unveiled new Boeing 777-300ER business class seats that actually have a sliding door.
- Republic Airways, a regional air carrier operator for United, Delta and American (mainly Embraer 170 and 190 jets), has petitioned the FAA to let new graduate pilots fly with only 750 flight training hours instead of the standard 1,500.
- Airbus will launch a third aircraft assembly line at its plant in Mobile, AL which will result in 1,000 new jobs.
- Canadian carrier Lynx Airlines announced 2 new routes: Calgary and Edmonton to St. Johns.
- While Hong Kong International Airport has barely seen ANY international passengers due to Covid restrictions, Singapore’s Changi Airport is bulging at the seams with flyers as the country ended restrictions.
- Asiana is rebooting its European routes (Seoul Incheon to Frankfurt, Paris, Rome and more) and will see 50% of its pre-pandemic traffic over the summer.
- Caribbean Airlines has introduced a new route: Kingston, Jamaica to Orlando, Florida twice weekly. The route starts July 1.
- Taos Air is restarting its popular summer service (June 30) from Taos, New Mexico to Hawthorne Municipal Airport, L.A. (HHR), Austin Bergstrom Airport (AUS), McClellan-Palomar Airport in Carlsbad (CLD) and Dallas Love Field (DAL)
American Restarts More Dublin Routes, Emirates Launches Premium Economy on its A380s, Jetstar and WestJet Routes - May 9, 2022
- American Airlines has resumed service from Dublin (DUB) and 3 US cities: Chicago O'Hare (ORD), Dallas Ft. Worth (DFW) and Charlotte (CLT).
- British Airways has cancelled more than 120 flights today while claiming they have given flyers 'advanced notice'.
- Qantas is cutting domestic flights by as much as 30% and points flyers to spur spending of the rewards.
- Emirates is launching its new Premium Economy class seats on some of its Airbus A380 routes (London, Paris, Sydney and Christchurch) with tickets going on sale June 1.
- Qantas offshoot Jetstar will launch two new routes from Canberra to Melbourne and the Gold Coast September 16.
- WestJet has launched service between Calgary (YYC) and Rome Fiumicino (FCO) with 3 flights weekly using a 787 Dreamliner.
- Flyers that have airline miles can now redeem them to help Ukrainian refugees flee their country from the Russian invasion.
Passenger Incidents Down 57% After Mask Mandate Lifted, Frontier and Swoop Start More Routes - May 8, 2022
- The FAA is reporting that airline incidents involving unruly passengers have dropped 57 percent since the lifting of the Federal mask mandate.
- Security screening lines at Leeds Bradford Airport (UK) reached three and a half hours and more causing irate passengers and general mayhem due to severe staffing shortages.
- Frontier Airlines has begun service from Miami (MIA) to Kingston Norman Manley International Airport in Kingston, Jamaica (KIN) marking the first service to the capital by the carrier.
- Canadian carrier Swoop has restarted flights from Winnipeg to Kelowna as well as Edmonton and Toronto.
- Sarasota Bradenton Airport (SRQ) will get new flights from Minnesota by Allegiant with the service slated to begin October 6.
- easyJet plans to cut 6 seats from 60 of its Airbus A319 aircraft so it can reduce the number of crew by 1. The move will trim costs due to staff shortages.
- New Indian carrier Akasa Air has received regulatory approval to start flights and operations in July and has ordered 72 Boeing 737 MAX jets.
3 Americans Found Dead at Sandals Resort, Allegiant, Breeze, Avelo Launching New Routes, Spirit Doesn't Want JetBlue - May 7, 2022
- 3 Americans have been found dead at a Sandals resort in The Bahamas on Friday...according to multiple reports and local authorities.
- Allegiant announced they will launch 7 new non-stop routes: From Provo (PVU) to Portland (PDX), San Diego (SAN), Las Vegas (LAS) and Sanford, Orlando (SFB). Also, routes from Akron (CAK) to Fort Lauderdale (FLL) and Minneapolis (MSP) and Bradenton (SRQ). More details HERE.
- The union representing Spirit Airlines flight attendants said their workers were forced to sleep on airport floors during the carrier's operational meltdowns late last year.
- Breeze Airways will launch 5 daily flights out of Provo to New York/Westchester, Vegas, San Bernardino, California, San Francisco and Los Angeles. The flights start later in the summer.
- Avelo Airlines has started service between Nashville International Airport (BNA) and Tweed-New Haven Airport (HVN) in Connecticut.
- Spirit Airlines executives have expressed reservations with JetBlue's takeover bid...the reason why they intend to stick with Frontier's offer.
- Ballys Gaming has been chosen by the city of Chicago to construct a $1.7 billion casino and entertainment complex.
- Southwest Airlines is testing out new WI-FI internet service on 40 aircraft with the aim to improve connectivity on it s flights.
Boeing Moving from Chicago to Virginia, Delta Restricting Lounge Access & Cutting Routes - May 6, 2022
- Boeing announced they will be moving their corporate headquarters from Chicago to Arlington, Virginia as they aim to work closer to lawmakers in Washington, D.C. on oversight issues in the wake of the deadly 737MAX crashes.
- The Points Guy is reporting that Delta will cut 3 domestic routes: Detroit (DTW) and Oklahoma City (OKC), Boston Logan (BOS) and Toronto Pearson (YYZ) and Detroit (DTW) and Oakland (OAK). Cuts suggest sluggish bookings.
- Delta says its tightening restrictions on its Sky Club airport lounge access (3 hours) because of growing demand that is crowding the lounges.
- Is CLEAR worth it for every flyer? Maybe not...as this article examines.
- A new study by 'Marketing Science' says frequent flyer programs actually increase the cost of flying if the employer is shouldering the cost.
- Eurowings' frequent flyer program 'Boomerang Club' will be discontinued on June 30th and its members transferred to Lufthansa's loyalty program.
- The Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) says some of the acute travel delays at Canada's airport could ease by the summer travel season.
- Southwest Airlines and Denver International just celebrated the unveiling of 16 new gates for the carrier at the east end of Concourse C and will be operational in June.
- Delta Air Lines is issuing a travel waiver effective on May 7th for White Plains, NY (HPN), Newark, NJ (EWR), New York – LaGuardia, NY (LGA) and New York – Kennedy, NY (JFK) due to forecasted weather.
11 Best Credit Cards with Sign-Up Bonuses, More Alaska Cancellations, FAA Vows to Fix Florida Problems - May 5, 2022
- The Points Guy has compiled an excellent roundup of 11 credit cards that offer sign-up and other bonuses...they are hot right now but will not last long.
- Alaska Airlines had another bad Sunday and Monday when over 15,000 passengers had their flights cancelled.
- After a meeting with airlines the FAA says they will increase staffing at Jacksonville Air Traffic Control Center to address the epidemic of flight cancellations and delays at Florida's airports.
- Emirates will unveil its impressive Premium Economy cabin at the Arabian Travel Market 2022. The seats have 40 inches of legroom and more impressive features.
- PLAY Airlines has started service between Baltimore/Washington (BWI) and Keflavik Airport (KEF) and will add New York and Boston shortly.
- Vail Resorts has launched a summer sale cutting 15% off its rates at its hotels, condos and chalets and cuts 30% for Epic pass holders.
New United, Frontier Routes, CDC Recommends Masks Again, Alaska Star Wars Livery - May 4, 2022
- United Airlines will start two international routes: Houston to Munich and Munich to Denver. Munich-Houston had been suspended since March of 2020 due to the pandemic.
- The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) are recommending that Americans wear masks on public transportation...including planes...a statement they repeated on Tuesday.
- Frontier Airlines will start new non-stop service from Tampa International Airport (TPA) to Punta Cana (PUJ) and Santo Domingo (SDQ) in the Dominican Republic as well as Montego Bay, Jamaica (MBJ).
- Alaska Airlines unveiled a special paint livery on one of tis 737s...a Star Wars Millennium Falcon themed jet.
- Ottawa Airport slowly trudges back adding flights and trying to entice flyers after the pandemic crushed them 2 years ago.
- Emirates has landed in Bali...the first time it has done so since flights were suspended due to the pandemic.
- Red Rock Hotel Resorts in Las Vegas saw a profit of roughly $49 Million over 2021 in its public earnings report.
- All Nippon Airways (ANA) continues to suspend its routes from Tokyo Haneda to London (LHR) and Paris (CDG) due to the closure of Russian airspace.
British Airways Cancels Over 100 Flights, Clear Raising Prices, Toronto Airport Crisis - May 3, 2022
- Expedited security program Clear is raising their prices to $189....the first time they've increased in 10 years. You can renew before the change.
- Qantas' new First Class Suites, that will debut in 2025 for their new super-long routes, are frankly insane.
- French Bee and Play...2 low-cost European airlines, have launched new routes: LAX to Paris (ORY) and Washington, DC to Iceland.
- Here are 6 unique credit card points strategies.
- British Airways has cancelled over 100 short-haul flights today (May 3) from London Heathrow due to staff shortages.
- Toronto Pearson Airport was slammed with delays as staffing issues at the airport have caused confusion and anger with flyers.
- Amsterdam Airport Schiphol is in near crisis mode as significant staff shortages are leading to unprecedented delays. The airport is even urging people and tour groups to cancel flights.
Qantas Announces Huge Airbus Order, Spirit Rejects JetBlue, 12 Passengers Injured - May 2, 2022
- Qantas confirms reports they will be placing a large order from Airbus: 12 A350-1000s, 20 A220s and 20 A321XLRs. They will also operate the world's longest commercial flights.
- Spirit Airlines has rejected a takeover bid from JetBlue as the carrier says they want to go with Frontier in an acquisition deal.
- United Airlines will restart flights between San Francisco (SFO) and Melbourne in June 3 times weekly...it will be the only carrier with non-stop service to the U.S. from Melbourne.
- Canadian carrier Flair Airlines will operate 5 routes this fall from Tucson Airport (in Arizona) to Fort McMurray (YMM), Lethbridge (YQL) in Alberta, Prince George (YXS) in British Columbia, Windsor (YQG) in Ontario and Edmonton International (YEG).
- Virgin Australia will buy 4 new Boeing 737 MAX 8 jets to meet increasing domestic demand.
- 12 passengers were severely injured when a SpiceJet flight from Mumbai to Durgapur hit turbulence on descent towards landing.
Qantas Announcement Monday?, Norse Offers Super Cheap Flights, $2K in Free Travel - May 1, 2022
- Qantas is rumored to announce on Monday a large landmark order from Airbus of more than 150 new jets as well as the longest route in the skies: A 20 hour flight between Sydney and London which will utilize the A350-1000.
- New carrier Norse Atlantic Airways is selling tickets for flights between Norway (Oslo) and New York (JFK) for just $129 using the Boeing 787 Dreamliner.
- Here's how you can get over $2,000 in free travel by using the Chase Sapphire Preferred credit card.
- Emirates expands Summer Pass that unlocks shopping deals at hundreds of locations in Dubai and a free Dubai Marina Cruise ticket.
- Miami International has set another freight record pace in 2022...the 1st quarter with 687,675 tons passing through MIA.
- Bulgaria Air and Air Serbia have expanded their codeshare agreement and will include routes: Belgrade to Ljubljana, Oslo, Podgorica and Tirana.