Virgin Australia has introduced brand new Economy fares including Economy Choice, Economy Flex and Economy Lite, each of which will offer different booking options and be more affordable.
Travellers will continue to receive 23 kilograms of checked baggage and seat selection when they book an Economy Choice or Economy Flex fare. Economy Choice will also offer bonus Velocity Frequent Flyer Points and Status Credits and booking flexibility for changes up to 14 days prior to departure without paying a fee.
Following a review of fares, pricing and bookings (according to Virgin), which found that an average of 30 per cent of customers did not use their checked baggage allowance, the airline is also introducing an Economy Lite seat-only fare, giving travellers the option to remove the unwanted cost of checked baggage from their ticket price.
The new fares will reduce Virgin Australia’s lowest lead-in Economy fare to just $59, which is a 33 per cent reduction when compared to September 2019 prices.
A Virgin Australia Group spokesperson said the new fares follow an extensive review of the airline’s fare pricing and structure.
“We discovered that nearly one in every three Virgin Australia customers don’t bring a checked bag when they travel, despite a bag allowance built in to their airfare. On flights between Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane, that number is even higher.
“Today we’re putting the power back in the hands of our customers by leaving it up to them to choose what they want. If they don’t want a checked bag or seat selection, they won’t have to pay for it – it's that simple. If they prefer to keep the extras, there are great value inclusive fare options available.
“Every customer is unique and has different needs and budgets, and we want to welcome all of them onboard to experience our award-winning service, in the way that best suits them,” they said.
Today’s announcement will see Virgin Australia customers, regardless of the fare type they purchase, continue to enjoy the Virgin Australia experience they’ve come to know and love – on-time performance, award-winning cabin crew service, complimentary tea, coffee and water on all flights, and Velocity Frequent Flyer Points and Status Credits earn with every booking.
Equally, Virgin Australia Club members, eligible Velocity Frequent Flyer and Lounge members will continue to be welcomed to enjoy the airline’s premium and domestic lounges, irrespective of the ticket they buy.
The introduction of the new Economy fares follows the announcement earlier this week that Virgin Australia will retain its premium loyalty program and premium lounges (formerly known as The Club) in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane.
More information on Virgin Australia’s new Economy airfares can be found here.
- Major US, Pacific and European airlines who offer similar domestic airfare optionality, include Delta Air Lines, American Airlines, JetBlue, Air New Zealand and Lufthansa.
- The new Economy airfares will go on sale today, with travel from select dates as follows:
- Economy Choice and Flex from today (19 August 2021)
- Economy Lite from 20 September 2021 (following a system enhancement)
- Economy Lite will only be available to book directly at www.virginaustralia.com with the fare subject to availability on selected travel dates and destinations
- For bookings made from 19 August 2021, Velocity members will earn an increased number of Status Credits when flying on a Choice or Flex fare on selected routes, making it easier for members to reach their Status goals.
- Virgin Australia continues to offer unlimited booking flexibility on all airfares for travel up to 28 February 2022. The flexibility offered within the Economy Flex fare will be permanent.
[Source: Virgin Australia]