In 1983, the industry’s first loyalty program was launched by Holiday Inn – rewarding guests every time they stayed with the brand. Fast forward almost 40 years and with 17 brands and nearly 6,000 hotels across the globe, plus a partnership with Mr & Mrs Smith hotels – which provides access to hundreds of new boutique and luxury hotels – IHG Hotels & Resorts’ loyalty program, IHG Rewards, is still in the business and thriving strong.
In a world where choice is in abundance, it can be overwhelming to navigate travel rewards points and the benefits available to members – so here’s a “one-stop shop” of how IHG Rewards members can best earn and redeem points.
How it works:
IHG Rewards has four membership tiers: Club, Gold Elite, Platinum Elite and Spire Elite. So, what do they mean and how do you get there?
- Earn points and enjoy member exclusive rates on every stay
- Free internet access and personalized stay preferences
- Stay = 10 nights at an IHG hotel or earn 10,000 Elite qualifying points to achieve Gold Elite status
- In addition to the Club benefits, members also receive extended check outs, priority check-in and 10 percent bonus earnings on top of base points
- Stay = 40 nights in an IHG hotel or earn 40,000 Elite qualifying points to achieve Platinum Elite status
- Not only do members benefit from both Club and Gold Elite perks, but they also enjoy:
- Elite Rollover Nights
- Complimentary room upgrades
- Guaranteed room availability when booked at least 72 hours in advance
- 50 percent bonus earnings on top of base points earned for a stay
- Spire Elite is the highest tier of IHG Rewards
- Stay 75 nights in an IHG hotel or earn 75,000 Elite qualifying points to achieve Spire Elite status
- Bonus earnings of 100 percent on top of base points and receive an Exclusive Choice Benefit*, as well as Hertz Gold Plus Rewards Five Star status
- InterContinental Ambassador is an elevated extension of IHG Rewards, designed for well-traveled guests, offering a full range of exclusive benefits and premium services, including a complimentary weekend night, automatic Platinum Elite status, guaranteed one category room upgrade, and extended 4 p.m. check-out. Membership is US$200 or 40,000 IHG Rewards points annually and is applicable at InterContinental Hotels & Resorts, Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants, and Regent Hotels & Resorts.
- Spire Elite is the highest tier of IHG Rewards
- Kimpton Inner Circle is an invitation-only extension for the most loyal of Kimpton guests. Inner Circle member benefits include an ultra-personalized treat upon arrival when staying at a Kimpton hotel, complimentary hotel night at a newly-opened Kimpton hotel, a room upgrade, guaranteed 10 a.m. check-in and 4 p.m. check-out, as well as all the additional benefits of the IHG Rewards Spire Elite tier.
IHG Members Have a Variety of Ways to Earn Points
Whether banking points on business trips, going on a weekend break, or having that once-in-a-lifetime dream vacation – IHG Rewards has a variety of ways in which members can earn points effortlessly:
- Stay & Earn
After signing up, members immediately start earning points for every dollar spent at an IHG hotel.
- Purchase points to use for future trips
As an IHG Rewards member, you can purchase points to enjoy rewards sooner.
- IHG Rewards Club Premier Credit Card – get to the next tier faster (U.S.)
- Earn up to 25X total points at IHG Hotels & Resorts worldwide when you combine IHG card benefits with existing IHG Rewards member benefits
- Automatic Platinum Elite Status as long as you remain an IHG Rewards Club Premier Cardmember
- Enjoy an Anniversary Free Night each year
- IHG Rewards Club Credit Card – get to the next tier faster (UK)
- Earn 2 points per £1 spent at IHG Hotels & Resorts and overseas
- Earn 1 points per £1 on all other spend
- Earn 10K bonus points after spending £200 on purchases in the first three months from account opening
- Guaranteed Gold Elite status for the lifetime of your card
- IHG Business Rewards
Looking to book a venue for the next team meeting, conference or event? IHG Business Rewards is a loyalty offering that rewards individuals that book on behalf of others. Members earn points when placing their business accommodations, business meetings, and corporate events, as well as social bookings such as wedding services, with participating IHG hotels.
- Sensational stays from boutique travel club Mr & Mrs Smith
Thanks to our partnership with world renowned boutique travel club Mr & Mrs Smith, IHG Rewards members can earn or spend points when they book at more than 500 hotels from their handpicked collection, when booked direct through IHG.com or the IHG app.The exclusive partnership more than doubles the number of luxury and boutique hotels previously available to IHG’s loyalty members, in some of the world’s most sought-after locations. In addition to earning and redeeming loyalty points for their stays, IHG Rewards members will also receive a SmithExtra – a special touch designed to enhance your stay or immerse you in your destination.
With travel plans halted over the last year, and the pause on points expiration, IHG Rewards has a multitude of exciting ways to burn points and get inspired to explore new destinations.
- Experience the extraordinary with Six Senses
Guests can now earn and redeem their hard-earned points at nine Six Senses Hotels Resorts Spas including Six Senses Yao Noi, Thailand; Six Senses Laamu, Maldives; Six Senses Ibiza; and Six Senses Zil Pasyon, Seychelles.
- Use points and cash
Using as few as 5,000 points, members can save more by booking a stay with both points and cash. Pay part of your stay in points and the rest in cash at with any brand including Holiday Inn and avid hotels – allowing you to redeem your Reward Nights faster, even if you don’t travel often.
- Let’s fly away
It’s not just hotels that accept IHG Rewards points – guests can use their points to book flights with IHG’s exclusive airline partners such as American Airlines, Emirates, Virgin Atlantic, British Airways and China Airlines.
- True Hospitality for Good
Journey to Tomorrow is IHG’s series of ambitious new commitments to make a positive difference for our people, communities and planet over the next decade. To help support, members can choose to donate points to one of our charity partners such as the American Red Cross or CARE International UK.
Wherever you are, we are too – check out ihg.com to become an IHG Rewards member or find your local IHG Rewards offers and promotions.
* Upon qualification for Spire Elite, members may choose to either receive a 25,000 annual point bonus or to gift Platinum Elite to a family member or friend.
[Source and Image Credit: IHG]